11 November 2017

Review: The Becoming of Noah Shaw

Read if you like: superheroes and slow burning mysteries with slight thriller elements

The Becoming of Noah Shaw | Michelle Hodkin
Series: The Shaw Confessions

Genre: Mystery
Release Date: November 7th
Pages: 384
Format: EBook
Source: Publisher, via Edelweiss

In the first book of the Shaw Confessions, the companion series to the New York Times bestselling Mara Dyer novels, old skeletons are laid bare and new promises prove deadly. This is what happens after happily ever after.

Everyone thinks seventeen-year-old Noah Shaw has the world on a string.

They’re wrong.

Mara Dyer is the only one he trusts with his secrets and his future.

He shouldn’t.

And both are scared that uncovering the truth about themselves will force them apart.

They’re right.


Did I seriously go through the whole Mara Dyer trilogy for my ship to sink so spectacularly? Are you KIDDING me? I was looking forward to them being strong, sorting shit out together. And I wish this was the only thing I'm disappointed about.

This is way more contemporary mystery than the creepy paranormal thriller Mara Dyer was, which I didn't expect. Not to say I don't like that genre because I do but... It's pretty slow paced too, despite the awesome beginning. I still love the characters, and Noah, and the history behind the origins of their powers. But the missing Gifted? I literally did not care what happened to them. I'm not sure how I feel about the new character Leo either, even if I like Goose (great name.) There are parts of this that are really good but overall I just did not love it. And for a book I've been dying to get my hands on for over a YEAR, a book I literally squealed to get approved for on Edelweiss ... the disappointment hit me hard.

3 stars
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25548744-the-becoming-of-noah-shaw

No comments:

Post a Comment