5 August 2017

Review: You Were Here

You Were Here | Cori McCarthy
Published by: Sourcebooks Fire, March 1st 2016
Genre: YA, Contemporary (but with a horror tone in parts), Comics
Pages: 400
Format: Ebook
Source: Sourcebooks Fire,, via Edelweiss

Grief turned Jaycee into a daredevil, but can she dare to deal with her past?

On the anniversary of her daredevil brother's death, Jaycee attempts to break into Jake's favorite hideout—the petrifying ruins of an insane asylum. Joined by four classmates, each with their own brand of dysfunction, Jaycee discovers a map detailing her brother's exploration and the unfinished dares he left behind.

As a tribute to Jake, Jaycee vows to complete the dares, no matter how terrifying or dangerous. What she doesn't bargain on is her eccentric band of friends who challenge her to do the unthinkable: reveal the parts of herself that she buried with her brother.
Stunning and strange and nothing like I expected. I treasured every page of this, and to be honest I wasn't sure I'd even like it in the beginning. I LOVED it, from tortured, grieving Jaycee, to serious Bishop, sad Zach, and seriously messed up Natalie. And my absolute favourite, precious Mik with his dramatic trench coat and his full-of-words silences.

The format of this book really made it stand out - there's prose, art, and comic pages (which were my favourite.) It did such a good job of telling the story that when I finished it, I immediately wanted to reread it. I fell in love with their idiotic daredevil stunts, their shared grief, and their messy friendships, and I loved every creepy setting from the crumbling mall to the abandoned theme park. This book is perfect. I miss it already.

Characters ★★★★
Setting/world ★★★
Writing ★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment