20 June 2016

ARC Review: King Slayer

Witch Hunter: King Slayer| Virginia Boecker
Published by: Orchard BooksJune 2nd 2016
Genre: YA, Historical, Fantasy, Witches
Pages: 400
Format: Ebook
Source: Orchard, via Netgalley

Magic, suspense, and political intrigue collide in this sequel to The Witch Hunter, perfect for fans of Graceling and the Grisha Trilogy.

Former witch hunter Elizabeth Grey is hiding within the magically protected village of Harrow, evading the price put on her head by Lord Blackwell, the usurper king of Anglia. Their last encounter left Blackwell ruined, but his thirst for power grows stronger every day. He's readying for a war against those who would resist his rule--namely Elizabeth and the witches, wizards, pirates, and healers she now calls her friends.

Having lost her stigma, a magical source of protection and healing, Elizabeth's strength is tested both physically and emotionally. War always means sacrifice, and as the lines between good and evil blur once more, Elizabeth must decide just how far she'll go to save those she loves.

In this sequel to The Witch Hunter, Virginia Boecker delivers a powerful story full of action, suspense, camaraderie, and romance.
 
My heart has been stabbed half a dozen times. This heartless book.

First off, Elizabeth is my fave, forever. She's capable and deadly with a sword but sensitive and caring. I love her so much. And John. And them together. But the corrupt!John thing KILLED ME. I cried about three times, and it was so unfair. He didn't deserve that. (Plus WHY with the ending? So, so cruel. Worst ending ever.)

Other things I adore about this book are: the perfect tension that really made it feel like a war was building, Blackwell's vulnerability - he really came into his own as a villain in this book, Caleb's cunning, incredible setting details, scary as hell plot (I'm talking about John not loving Elizabeth here), and pretty damn awesome friendships, by which I mean Elizabeth and Schuyler, Elizabeth and Fifer. I didn't like Elizabeth forgiving Malcolm, but you do you (plus she thought they were about to die, so I forgive that.) And it did have some lovely romantic moments that were a balm to my sore heart - I will never forget Elizabeth and John in the apothecary shop. Please print that scene on my tomb stone.

A thrilling and tense historical fantasy series, with romance that hurts and soothes at once, and characters that are impossible to forget. I love this series so much.

Characters 
Setting/world 
Writing 

No comments:

Post a Comment