2 April 2016

ARC Review: Tell The Wind And Fire

Tell The Wind And Fire | Sarah Rees Brennan
Published by: Clarion BooksApril 5th 2016
Genre: YA, Fantasy, Retellings
Pages: 368
Format: Ebook
Source: Clarion, via Netgalley

In a city divided between opulent luxury in the Light and fierce privations in the Dark, a determined young woman survives by guarding her secrets. 

Lucie Manette was born in the Dark half of the city, but careful manipulations won her a home in the Light, celebrity status, and a rich, loving boyfriend. Now she just wants to keep her head down, but her boyfriend has a dark secret of his own—one involving an apparent stranger who is destitute and despised. Lucie alone knows the young men’s deadly connection, and even as the knowledge leads her to make a grave mistake, she can trust no one with the truth.

Blood and secrets alike spill out when revolution erupts. With both halves of the city burning, and mercy nowhere to be found, can Lucie save either boy—or herself?

Celebrated author Sarah Rees Brennan weaves a magical tale of romance and revolution, love and loss.
This book should come with a huge flashing warning: IT WILL BREAK YOUR HEART.

But come on, it's a Sarah Rees Brennan book. We already knew that.

Tell The Wind and Fire is equal parts emotionally devastating, enthralling, and hilarious. Although  the parts I found funny (Lucie being pushed over the bridge, anyone?) maybe weren't meant to be...

I wasn't fussed on Lucie until I totally was, and I was cheering her on and totally invested, and I have no idea when she snuck up on me. Carwyn was my favourite, as he was always destined to be. He's my sarcastic piece of shit and I love him so much. I am incensed and righteously furious on his behalf. He deserved so, so much better and I want a hundred gratuitous fanfics of his miraculous recovery. (I will avenge him.) I have no opinion on Stryker #2.

The world is glittering and really damn interesting. I love the divide between the light and dark, and how morality is super grey or unconventional - light guys aren't good, dark guys aren't bad. The rebellion plot was something I was even genuinely interested in (and I am RARELY interested in rebel plots) and I just thoroughly enjoyed the story. I'm going to pretend it ended differently though. My only complaint is there's a whole chapter of info dumping at the beginning and it interrupted my reading experience.

Emotional, character driven, and wholly new and inventive. I will never forget this book. (I will never be whole again.)

Characters 
Setting/world 
Writing 

1 comment:

  1. Bwahaha. I didn't like this one as much as your and Kirsty, but I'll join you in your avenging!

    ReplyDelete