4 December 2015

Dark Heart of Magic (ARC Review)

Black Blade: Dark Heart of Magic | Jennifer Estep
Published by: Kensington BooksOctober 27th 2015
Genre: YA, Urban Fantasy, Fantasy
Pages: 368
Format: Ebook
Source: Kensington, via Netgalley

Something Wicked This Way Comes...
As a thief, I stick to the shadows as much as possible. But when the head of the Sinclair Family picks me to compete in the Tournament of Blades, there's no escaping the spotlight—or the danger.

Even though he's my competition, Devon Sinclair thinks I have the best shot at winning what's supposed to be a friendly contest. But when the competitors start having mysterious "accidents," it looks like someone will do anything to win—no matter who they hurt.

As if I didn't have enough to worry about, mobster Victor Draconi is plotting against Devon and the rest of my friends, and someone's going around Cloudburst Falls murdering monsters. One thing's for sure. Sometimes, humans can be more monstrous than anything else...

This isn't quite as good as the first book. Maybe that's because a tournament takes up the most part of this book and I am SO BORED of tournaments and championships. Every time one crops up in a book, I yawn. BUT I did like everything else in this book.

The characters continue to be awesome. I really like Lila, and I love her and Devon's slow and natural romance. But my favourite in this was actually Deah??? I love how she fell into the typical bitchy girl role but broke that mould so much, and I ADORE the plot twist between her and Lila. I hope she and Felix get their happily ever after!

Aside from the tournament, the story was pretty awesome. There's mob tension, spying, and the expected monster fights. I thought the villain was pretty obvious from the start, and I'm a little disappointed it didn't turn out to be Poppy. I get a serious Natalie Dashkov vibe from her!!!

Overall, a good book full of action, fun, and secrets. I want book 3!

SIDE NOTE: What is with the gravestones on the cover???? Lila goes into a graveyard twice and it's really not pivotal to the plot AT ALL. I feel like they went for the generic UF cover thing with this and the book deserves better!! Put the darn mansion in the background.

Characters 
Setting/world 
Writing 

2 comments:

  1. I am completely out of the Jennifer Estep loop. It sounds really exciting, I'll have to invest in this series next (or eventually).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the only Estep series I've read but I really like it!!!

      Delete