9 August 2013

Wicked Lovely (review)


Wicked Lovely: Wicked Lovely | Melissa Marr
YA, Urban Fantasy, Mythology

Characters ★★
Setting ★★★★
Writing Style ★★★

Rule #3: Don't stare at invisible faeries.
Aislinn has always seen faeries. Powerful and dangerous, they walk hidden in the mortal world. Aislinn fears their cruelty - especially if they learn of her Sight - and wishes she were as blind to their presence as other teens.

Rule #2: Don't speak to invisible faeries.
Now faeries are stalking her. One of them, Keenan, who is equal parts terrifying and alluring, is trying to talk to her, asking questions Aislinn is afraid to answer.

Rule #1: Don't ever attract their attention.
But it's too late. Keenan is the Summer King, who has sought his queen for nine centuries. Without her, summer itself will perish. He is determined that Aislinn will become the Summer Queen at any cost — regardless of her plans or desires.

Suddenly none of the rules that have kept Aislinn safe are working anymore, and everything is on the line: her freedom; her best friend, Seth; her life; everything.

Faery intrigue, mortal love, and the clash of ancient rules and modern expectations swirl together in Melissa Marr's stunning twenty-first-century faery tale.


REVIEW


Spellbinding, beautiful, deadly.

Wicked Lovely captivated me from the start. I was swept into a tale of danger, beauty, and the vibrant lore of the fair folk. As someone who is usually less than impressed by books with fairies, I was surprised to find myself in love with this book, and I discovered that I don't dislike all fairy books, but dislike when they are done badly. (I should probably point out that I began this series because I got the first book cheap, and also because the covers are stunning and purple. So I'd like to thank the cover designer for drawing me into this perfect world. All the awards, my friend, you should have them.)

What I loved about this book was that it took the original lore of the fae and it did it justice. The fairies weren't dainty, vapid, harmless creatures like most books I've attempted to read portray them. Melissa did fae well, capturing the true darkness of them and delivering a story that was new and old, anxiety-inducing and wondrous. The fairies of Wicked Lovely felt genuine, unlike most I have read in the past.

I am thoroughly impressed and hooked into this series. My heart has swelled, but been equally crushed. I have felt utter despair and desperation, but also exhilaration and adoration for every character in this book. Well. Perhaps not you Beira, you cruel, heartless, perfect antagonist. But Keenan and Donia, Aislinn and Seth - I loved them all, felt for them all, and needed them all happy and safe (*screeches* my babies!)

Four for you, Melissa Marr. You go Melissa Marr.

No comments:

Post a Comment